Every so often individuals and teams of people carry out amazingly selfless acts in a bid to protect and save lives. The Fire Fighters Charity recognises these people and honours them with the Spirit of Fire Awards.
An established and prestigious event on the awards scene, these awards annually recognise the best of fire fighting and have done so for nine years. Only a handful of awards, for the likes of Supporter of the Year and Child Hero of the Year, are given with four nominees in each category.
Fire fighters and members of the public from the length and breadth of the UK can be nominated and the winners are announced at a glittering high-profile awards ceremony in London.
This year’s event took place on the 19th October and began with a VIP reception at Downing Street with MP Eric Pickles before heading to the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge Hotel for the main ceremony.
Presented by newsreader Nicholas Owen, the Awards were also attended by stars of the screen, public figures and a number of sporting heroes including some of this summer’s Olympians.
While recognition is given to the bravest of the public and fire service, awards are also given to teams and individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to fundraising efforts and fire safety awareness.
The winners this year comprise:
- West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service (Fundraising Brigade of the Year)
- Jenny Adkins, Hereford and Worcester (Individual Supporter of the Year)
- Blazing Saddles Team, East Sussex (Team Supporter of the Year)
- Ally Boyle, Strathclyde (Beneficiary of Courage)
- Charlie Ryan, Ali Al-Nabhan and Chyane Bell, London (Public Child Hero)
- Carl Creasey and Adam Lessiter (Public Adult Hero)
- Mary Maggs, Lincolnshire (Newcomer of the Year)
- Nathan Julien, London (Fire Fighter of the Year)
- Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service (Special Recognition Award)
- Keith Roszell (Lifetime Achievement Award)
Discount Fire Supplies sells fire safety equipment, including fire alarm systems, designed to minimise the risk of fire in homes and businesses.