Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless and odorless toxic gas that can potentially kill. Carbon monoxide detectors are designed to warn you if carbon monoxide (CO) is present in the air and importantly to reduce the number of carbon monoxide related deaths.
Carbon monoxide is measured in PPM (parts per-million) and it takes as little as 35ppm (0.0035%) for you to feel the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- 35ppm – Headache and dizziness will occur if exposed constantly (will occur within 6/8 hours)
- 100ppm – Headache (within 2/3 hours)
- 200ppm – Headache/loss of judgment (within 2/3 hours)
- 400ppm – Frontal headache (within 1/2 hours)
- 800ppm – Dizziness/nausea/convulsions (within 45 mins) Insensible (within 2 hours)
- 1600ppm – Headache/tachycardia/dizziness and nausea (within 20 mins) Death (within 2 hours)
- 3200ppm – Headache/dizziness and nausea in (within 5/10 minutes) Death (within 30 minutes)
- 6400ppm – Headache/dizziness (within ½ minutes) Convulsions/respiratory arrest and death (within 20 mins)
- 12800ppm – Unconsciousness (within 2/3 breaths) Death (within 3 minutes)
Where are there dangers of Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by leaks of carbon monoxide gas from different sources. Some examples of these sources are;
- Furnaces/HVAC units
- Gas engines
- Gas appliances
- What signs should I be aware of?
There are some signs that can make you aware of carbon monoxide being present and these include;
- Yellow/orange flames as opposed to blue flames (this does not apply to fuel effect fires or appliances that naturally display this colour flame)
- If soot or a yellow/brown stain is found around or over the appliance
- Pilot lights regularly being blown
- If the level of condensation increases within the room
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon Monoxide detectors are a excellent way to help ensure that you are not at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning. They are highly recommended although they are not to be taken as a substitute for the upkeep of your appliances.
View our range of Carbon Monoxide Detectors.